Above: Amy Vacchio, Director of Rock Hall Museum, at gravesite of Alice Hermione Pelham Banister Mcneill, the last Martin to live at Rock Hall circa 1767 .
Above: Amy Vacchio, Director of Rock Hall Museum, at gravesite of Alice Hermione Pelham Banister Mcneill, the last Martin to live at Rock Hall circa 1767 .
One of the finest pre- Revolutionary War homes on Long Island, Rock Hall was built in 1767 for Josiah Martin, a wealthy West Indian plantation owner. The Georgian-style home belonged to two of the area's most famous families, the Martins and the Hewletts. In 1948, the Hewlett family deeded Rock Hall to the Town of Hempstead. After an extensive restoration, it opened as a museum in 1953. Rock Hall offers guided tours, lectures, and children's programs.
Town of Hempstead Museum
FriendsofRockHall@gmail.com